From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:55:37 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/98 7:29:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>         I have a super that has been sitting since last fall and it has
>  been closed up since then. I had boards over the top and bottom, with a
>  fresh urinal block (main ingredient is pdb). The super was fine a month or
>  so ago, but today when I took the top piece of wood off, the stench of
>  vinegar was there the comb was somewhat fuzzy and there was some kind of
>  smelly, frothing liquid coming from the cells. I left the super outside to
>  dry out.
>
>          Any idea what it is?

    It's fermenting.

    You might think that beeswax is impervious to water, but it is not. During
the humid summer months, moisture will easily pass through the caps and dilute
the honey to where it can ferment. Upon fermenting it will break the caps and
froth up, as you describe. After first making alcohol, it then makes acetic
acid, all natural processes, and they have evidently been going on for quite a
while.

    PDB would have no effect on fermentation.

    Supers of honey need to be stored on bees, or kept in a dehumidified
location during the summer. Or better yet, extract it. Putting it outside is
kind of risky. You may have a bunch of drunk yellow jackets (as you've
probably discovered by now).

    You might try putting it back on the bees. If there is anything
salvageable, they will do it. Wipe off the frothy part on each frame first, as
that is where the worst fermentation is.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm