From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:48:38 -0500
? Hello All,
I do not usually comment on others bees in a public forum but will make an
exception.
I could not get Alan's video to run but read the transcript.
I realize its hard for a hobby beekeeper to look at the activity in Dee's
yard and not grimace. I will explain what I saw as a beekeeper with 51 years
experience , AHb experience and working hives in yards of close to 2000
hives .
Yards of strong two queen colonies in 5 deep brood nests boxes.

 Beekeepers can look at the same video and see differently what is going on.

>I also saw Dean's Arizona videos:

First these were very strong hives and no flow on. The size comparable to a
yard of my two queen hives. The video stated little smoke was used to
demonstrate the bees were workable with little smoke.

I personally felt Dee was a bit rough with the bees. Tossing the lids and
covers on the ground when it would have been just as easy to place the
covers on the ground. More use of smoke *in my opinion* would have made the
hives more manageable. Smoke under the cover before opening.

*However* when in a hurry I have certainly worked hives the same way.
I did
not like the way she pulled and especially pushed frames back in several of
the hives mashing bees. To me keeping AHb in 10 frames would excite the bees
by mashing . One reason we run 9 frames in a 10 frame box. Frames easy to
pull and replace without mashing bees as bees sting when mashed releasing
the alarm pheromone.

Due to the size of the colonies (extra large) I felt the bees popping veils
not unusual. When we tear into brood nests of strong two queen hives we get
a similar response. I have had new help simply sit down and say "I have
never seen anything like this". I say :" Are you getting stung" and the
answer is usually no"

Eventually as the work progresses the new beekeeper relaxes and joins in. I
was impressed with Dee's command of the inspection and attention to detail.
Very impressed with the way she handled those deep boxes. I could tell from
the close up shots the bees were buzzing and not stinging suits. With AHB
you move to the truck when the suit starts filling up with stingers. (Alarm
odor )
I did not see that happening.

These bees were aggressive in my opinion because of the colony size, lack of
smoke and rough handling. True AHb I have seen react different in several
ways. Not saying those bees did not contain some AHB genetics but all seemed
similar in their response to being worked.

I saw bees simply clustering on the back of the veils and upper back area.
Typical of European bees and not AHB as AHb run (and fly)when disturbed
instead clustering on the suits like in the video.

I was impressed that no chemicals had been used since 1993 and there
appeared to be no *dinks* in the yard of 22. going through ( although not a
complete inspection) in 45 minutes was also impressive.

The three beekeepers showed no fear of Dee's bees and I have worked bees
with enough beekeepers to know those three were not taking a bunch of stings
( unlike the 6-7 Alan reported getting.)

I watched the Dee video of her Mendoza yard and the bees were more docile
*but* not as strong.

>They make a nice a comparison with my friend Alan's method. Here he is
>working bees in shorts pants

Its nice to have bees gentle enough to work in shorts ( I did not see the
video ) but in large operation where crews work bees all day the beekeepers
where protection. Even then 15-30 stings during the day is not unusual.

This statement (although common today) concerned me about Alan's bees. His
excuse for his high hive lost yearly sounded like came from the CCD working
group?

From the video:
"I'am very concerned , I've lost 50% or MORE five out of the last 6 years on
colony collapse. The parasite, viruses and new back tier yaz are devastating
the industry at times"

Maybe Alan should move to Arizona and do organic beekeeping (but he would
have to give up working bees in shorts).

I wished I could have watched the Alan video.

I have never worked bees with Dee ( as Alan Dick has) but from the  way she
handled herself In the video she has my respect. Calm under those
circumstances and attending to detail under those circumstances earns my
respect!

Over the years I wish I would have had a video camera to record some of the
panic and terror I have witnessed with new beekeeping help. I am a firm
believer that bees sense fear and the beekeeper displaying the most fear
usually gets the most stings.

Thanks to Pete for posting the videos!

bob