From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 19:22:57 -0500
> My understanding is that RNAI tech is being worked on already for bees.   Maybe that’s not quite GMO?  No clue as to where those lines would be drawn!

RNA interference does not alter the genes of the organism, so it isn't really genetic engineering. The difference will be lost on some people. RNAi would silence the expressions of particular genes. If you could, say, suppress reproduction in varroa mites or viruses with RNAi, that could nip those in the bud. You might end up with resistant types, though.

Changing the genetic structure of the honey bee is fraught with peril. Once the changes were made, they would not be able to be reverted. For the sake of conservation alone, there is a strong case for saying no to GM honey bees. There are plenty of other avenues to go down, we don't need to go that route.

To do GM bees you would have to work on an isolated island, much the same as the USDA did with the Russian bees. GM bees have been created already; they inserted fluorescent protein into drones. But they weren't allowed to survive, let alone breed.

It is doubtful much could be done at this point since we simply do not understand the genome enough yet to do much except tinker. Just what would you want to modify in the honey bee? Maybe you could make glow in the dark bees and freak the varroa out.

PLB