From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:55:52 -0700
Hi all

Bob Harrison wrote:
The  research was being done on  number of colonies  to
FORCE  thelytoky using methods similar to Mackensen did in
1943.

Reply:
Very interesting you writing all this Robert, but I don't
recall any forcing being done. We were doing it first in
the industrial yard and I was video taping it as it
happened and then the lab duplicated it and verified it in
my recollection. This was going on in the middle 1980s at
our industrial lot and in 1988 after our contract was
accepted with Western Region in Albany Calif, the Tucson
Bee Lab really got involved.

Bob Harrison also wrote:
 Could pseudoqueens been caused by the research?

  I believe the possibility exists.

 AT LEAST ONE QUEEN WAS RAISED AND MATED ACCORDING TO THE
ABSTRACT.

reply:
Actually, when the contract ended we went on doing what we
had always been doing and the lab stopped working with the
bees and our loaned equipment. What we had was given back
and what they had was supposedly given back. Are you now
saying that the bees we loaned to the lab were not given
back somehow and accounted for?

Bob Harrison further wrote:
 If bees   exist with *capensis like* traits  in Arizona
(which I and others saw slides of) and   those  bees  * DID
NOT * come in with the introduction of AHb into Arizona
then in my opinion those pseudo queens *could* have came
from the *lus bee* project.

Reply:
Robert, again are bees have exhibited this trait back to
Ed's grandpa and Dr Levin wanted some different work at the
lab and I wrote a contract that Western Region signed for
Dr Erickson and Dr Hoffman to work on officially. It also
encompassed putting bees back onto smaller cell size
another thing we were also deeply into, and I therefore
hand made foundation for the local lab.

The AHB so-called problem came in the mid-1990s several
years after work on this so-called project name, now of
yours ended in actual technical exchange of information on
the basics of proving thelytoky existed in our bees. Mostly
because Norm Gary in Calif at the university, even though
Dr Laidlaw was helping and greatly interested.

As for the trait continuing from our so-called now
"Lus-Bees", well, yes it does, and I consider the trait a
blessing to our bees for survivalability and necessary to
all small blacks for transitioning into temperate zones.

This is seen in the mediterranean area in Europe and
MIde-east in Eurasia and is of great benefit to honeybees.
Unfortunately, in S. Africa there in no place to transition
to and evidently as reported here a couple of days ago they
have gotten their cape bees inbred. An unfortunate
occurance leading to problems over there and they
evidentually need fresh blood and no place to get it.

But Robert, we were here first with the trait in our
honeybees, well before the arrival of the so-called myth
(IMPOV).

Also, if you are so afraid, I would look around then,
because for years this family, from Ed's grandpa until now
with me, has traded in bees and queens throughout the US
and Canada (prior to borders being closed). If triggered,
this trait then you are so afraid of could pup-up anywhere.

Bob Harrison further wrote:
 The cape bee  is talked about all through the article and
compared to the "Lus bees".

Reply:
Yep, and Dr Anderson from S. Africa sent me and the USDA
lab here samples of Cape bees, so comparisons could be made
to rule out the fact that the bees were the same and
actually different. This was also noted in wing veins and
other measurements and DNA (To my understanding).

So Robert, if the USDA ruled this out with Dr Andersons
help back in the 1980s, what is it that you cannot accept?
After all the trait was never seen in the 4 plus decades
movement up from S. America and was even written by Dr
Winston not to be compatable for breeding in with scuts.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby