From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:13:14 +0100
Bill Truesdell wrote:
> This [3% w/v] appears to be twice the strength used normally, two
> applications instead of one, and no limit of 50ml per colony, so is it
> really a legitimate caution? The studies I have seen say that high
> concentrations do cause bee mortality, so this just confirms it.

Is 3% twice the normal strength?  It is in line with what I have seen
recommended and I have certainly not seen 1.5% anywhere.
Certainly many caution against more than one application, but I have seen
others talking about weekly doses until mite drop reduces!
5ml per seam was quoted, so in an 11 frame box this would limit the dose to
50ml.
Of more interest than adult bee or brood mortality may be the impact on
brood rearing over a longer period of time - this was my main reason for
quoting the study.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/