From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2017 18:55:32 -0400
Randy asked:
>A question is whether the bees, when walking on comb, predominately use their tarsal claws, or whether they extend their arolia.

I think Ian Stell does a fair job of answering that question in his book "Understanding Bee Anatomy." His microscopy photos and accompanying narrative indicate that the arolium is generally turned upward meaning that the gripping surface would be positioned on the top of the claw. He goes on to explain how when the claw encounters a surface too hard or too smooth the arolium is pulled down under the claw and spreads onto the surface to be gripped.

My thinking is that a bee is not likely to encounter anything inside a hive that would require an arolium grip. Therefore, my assumption is that the arolium would not be exposed to surface crystals that occur in the fallout after sublimation. But since the porous surface of the arolium is likely to be facing up, it seems logical that every arolium in the colony would be covered with a dose of OA anyway regardless of the application modality.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT