From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 20:46:49 -0500
> Hello everybody!
>
> Only two questions:
>
>         o  There is a simple method to find the queen in the hive?
>
>         o  The queen position inside the hive depends of the sun movement?

It essentially takes experience.  Marked queens (a dab of paint on the
thorax) help but this isn't a guaranteed method.  Marked queens are available
from queen breeders here.  The best way is to look at what the frames
contain.  If it's stores, the queen is probably not on that frame.  If it's
capped brood or older uncapped brood, she may be around.  If there's eggs,
she's very likely nearby, look carefully at this frame and adjacent ones.

I find the way she walks or holds her hind legs seems to help as much
or more than marked queens or worker "courts".  In fact I've never seen my
bees form a court around a queen.  And it's not because I've had shy queens
that run off, one would continue to lay eggs while I'm holding the frame
she's on watching her.

-Mike