From:
Almer's Apiary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:29:20 -0600
Mike wrote: "Up until this last year Alabama had a prohibition against
bringing in any bees on the comb into the state."

ALABAMA STILL HAS A LAW THAT PROHIBITS BRINGING HONEYBEES INTO THE STATE ON
THE COMB.  This law was violated by Dr. Tomm Johnson (who was then the state
apiculturist) by allowing one beekeeper to ship one truck load of honeybees
to California (and back) for almond pollination.  This was a, one time,
pilot program and may or may not be continued.  If it is, the state has
plans to implement new inspection procedures relative to queens and queen
cells that might have some chance of intercepting any Africanized bees
contained in the returning colonies.

Alabama boarders are still closed by State law to the movement of honey bees
into the state on the comb.

Mike was right in stating that "we do have SHB".  They first appeared in the
middle of the state.  When they arrived, Alabama A & M University did a
study and found them to have come from interstate rest stops.  Since states
have little control the use of federal highways MIGRATORY beekeepers can
travel through Alabama on the federal interstate highways.

It is also true that Africanized colonies (to my knowledge - only 4) have
been found and destroyed in the Mobile, Alabama area.  These colonies came
from ships entering Mobile Bay.  They were found in state operated traps.
Alabama has trap hives located at all points of entry into the state except
highways. They are even at military airports.

Mike also stated that Alabama has "mites and beetles".  To my knowledge, we
still have no pest that are resistant to any of the legal treatment methods.

Our new state apiculturist is most capable of stopping this practice of
violation of state laws IF the political structure does not prohibit his
doing so.  Alabama's main role in the beekeeping industry has for years been
supplying queens and package bees.  If we can keep our boarders closed we
can continue to ship "clean" bees world wide.

If you have plans to purchase packages or queens from Alabama, Please do not
be discouraged by Mike's post.  The Alabama Department of Agriculture and
Industry is on top of the problem.  They have made personnel changes and
regulation changes such that if the movement of pollinating colonies is
continued there should be minimal affect on our package bee and queen
industry.

Bob Fanning
Past president, Alabama Beekeepers Association
President, Madison County Beekeepers Association
See our WebPages at www.alabees.com
Huntsville, Alabama USA