From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:46:57 -0600
> I'd love to see Amish-size/style farms using modern equipment replace Big
> Ag across the US farmland.

Being the largest supplier of honey in Missouri to the horse & buggy people
(not all are Amish) I am very familiar with their methods. Modern equipment
is not going to happen. Most of mine mow their lawns with a Belgian horse
pulling a non motor cutter.

For the amount of labor involved the return is not very good. However many
use chemicals and pesticides bought from the Amish Seed supply in south
Missouri (also a honey customer).

When ever I deliver the drums I bring a swinger forklift with barrel
attachment plus  a hand barrel jack. If not problems happen fast. The Amish
want to hoist the barrel from a tree and hand roll to the building. Stand up
and then maneuver through a door way.

 I believe I might take time one of these days  to write an article about my
experiences with the Amish.

The Amish are easy to do business with and honest. At times its hard to get
away from the kids and teenagers for all the questions about bees and the
outside world.

They (at least from my experience) never try to get a reduced price and
either take or leave the price of honey. They do not mind paying a gasoline
surcharge for delivery but seldom know the current price of gasoline. On my
last trip they thought gasoline was $3 a gallon when in reality was cheaper
by around .25.

 I am always honest with the Amish and try to help place the barrels in the
places they want. I sell to the Amish at the going rate for raw unprocessed
honey in 55 gallon drums and the Amish ladle the honey from the drum. Some
they sell along with the sorghum they make.

The Amish sought me out because some unscrupulous beekeepers had been
cutting honey with up to 50% HFCS and selling to the Amish for years. The
beekeeper is deceased now but used to brag at meetings about selling honey
cut with HFCS to the Amish cheap.

When I go into the Ozarks to deliver drums of honey its like going back in
time to the days of the pioneers. The Amish have only got a communal phone
and they can call out but you can not call in. Accurate directions are
essential. Usually I meet a horse and buggy along a gravel road and then
follow to the delivery point.

The Amish are loyal customers and will keep coming back as long as they are
treated with respect. A couple times I have had to at least chuckle around
the Amish.

One Elder could not figure out how to work a barrel jack.

Another wondered how he would get the honey out of an open top drum.

bob

--
believed to be clean.