From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 19:46:39 -0800
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Mark D. Egloff wrote:

>      Once again a suggestion for some type of coordination of activities.
>      This list covers the spectrum of beekeepers.  Is there no way to
>      coordinate all that experience and hands?
>      Mark Egloff

> Subject: Re: Things are poppin' in the South (USA)
> Author:  Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]> at CSC_uuxch
> Date:    2/18/96 10:57 AM
>
>         And yet we should be looking at survivers. Maybe the scientists among
> us could suggest a plan for evaluating suvivors? Maybe a cooperative
> effort could be made to gather prospects into a breeding program?
>
>   bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
>   b                                                              b
>   b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
>   b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b

 Hello, I just had to add to my support to what Vince is talking about. A
co-op with a set of guidlines for evaluation. If we like it or not , we
are all in the same pool. By organizing a plan that we can all take part
in will speed everything up for all of us. We need to evaluate 1000 ,s of
hives. That sounds like a lot. Not so. I will have 100 myself. Some of
the big boys can't spend the time on each hive as someone with 5 or 6 hives.
I bet he could be looking for prduction or very good brood patterns.
  I have been writting to many people over the last few days. I'm getting
more positive as time goes on. We don't have to make this a big crash
program that has to have results in one year.I don't want to see us limit
this to any one area. I know Queen breeders will be wondering if we will
be taking there space.No,we need to evaluate as much genetic material as
we can and we will all be winners.We want those with a couple of hives to
be on board with us. Belive me , we all can learn more. Beekeepers and
the researchers are a great group of people that do understand first hand
how nature is so complex and full of surprises. I would like to see us
take out the mite problem without chemicals.In natural genetics the mite
problem will go away. That you can take to the bank.Apis Mellifera has
been around for a very long time and has had to do battle with some
pathogens  as bad as the ones it is facing today.
   It will take time to have a workable plan. I will contact more people
that will and can help. Some people will think it will gain nothing. We
don't need one drop of negative. ( True story . I started a Quality
circle of ten mechanics. We were told that it would not work and we were
waisting time. Every one of the mechanics in that first circle went up in
management and one young man became a mechanical engineer. We learned how
to solve problems) We are so lucky and blessed with the best in the world
here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
 If someone wants to drop me some e-mail with Ideas please do so.I'm
retired with two at U of Wash and one in the first grade.Some days are
not long enough, but I will get back to you.

Thank You

Roy Nettlebeck