From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:09:17 +0000
In Sept I had 31 colonies in NE Ohio.  As of Jan 1 I have 31 colonies.  Winter so far has been normal with the lows in single digits a few nites and 40 some inches of snow so far.  It is too early for me to have hive deaths.  When I have a hive die it is late Feb or March generally.  The way they look right now I would not be surprised if there are no deaths this winter.  Also would not be surprised at four or five deaths.  More than that would be a surprise.  Three hives, not mine, within a mile of me are all alive yet.  I expect some of them to be dead by spring based on how they were flying in September.  They looked pretty weak at that time and had too many crawlers.  My son in Michigan (colder than me but a lot less snow) has seen zero deaths so far.  I think he has about eight colonies.

I have heard the normal number of reports of people who have even had first year hives die due to what sounds like varroa/virus to me and losses as high as 100%.  Those reports are from all over the eastern US it seems, but mainly N of the N Carolina or Tennessee latitude.  If you do not have varroa/viruses controlled in August a lot of your hives will die in our winters.  If you do not leave adequate stores a lot of hives will die in our winters.  The do it natural crowd seems to like dead hives.

Dick