From:
Kathy Tate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:36:13 -0600
> and still more money in there pocket.

Humm...more money in my pocket?  Strange...I haven't seen it!

As a dairy farmer that keeps bees to help support our dairy "habit", I
need to share that dairy farmers are not "on top of the game".  The
dairy industry (at least the farm end of it) is a joke.  Government
regulation and an outdated pricing structure have nearly destroyed the
family dairy farm.  The government forces us to "participate" in an
advertising promotion program that takes a huge chunk of our checks and
then uses the funds in whatever way they see fit.

Our checks for the month of February were half of what they were in
January.  Everytime you pay $3.50 for a gallon of skim milk in your
local grocery, the dairyman gets less than 50 cents for that same gallon
at the farm.  We're penalized for fat content, water content, protein
content, bacteria counts, to name a few.  Drop one "plop" of manure on
the road, and the EPA beats you home with a citation and a hefty fine
(some are $10,000 per day).  Heaven forbid they find a bee leg in it!!!

Folks, that's surely not what honey producers want!  I don't have a
solution but modeling the honey industry after the dairy industry is not
a good moooove!

> ...but we can get there, ...Just like the Dairy Farmers.

Is that referencing "out of business"?

Wishing I had the answer...
Kathy Tate