Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:06:31 -0800
"Lionel Evans" wrote:

> MOST and I mean MOST do not agree with me, but I prime and paint inside
and
> outside with the best that I can get and they last longer by far. I have
> tried only painting the outside and have tried priming and painting only
the
> outside. No question for me. The moisture cannot penetrate from the inside
as
> easily and will last far longer. I live in North Alabama.

Perhaps what we are dealing with here is operating under two different sets
of conditions?  It is understandable in a high humidity environment that
untreated wood, especially if the wood has not been completely cured, will
be lost to rot and/or warping sooner or later if not painted on both sides
of the supers.

On the flip side, in those parts of the world where the average humidity may
be as little as 10-20%, rot/warping usually does not present a problem if
only the outside is painted.

As with so many aspects of beekeeping, different strokes for different
folks, eh?  :-)

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN