From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 07:26:34 -0600
> >        Does the flavor of some honey benefit being exposed to
> >the air? Letting red wines breath to improve the flavor is done
> >before consumption.
>
>    I think it's the other way around...  Being a supersaturated
>    sugar
> solution, honey absorbs moisture from the air or anywhere alse,
> (even while in capped comb.)  I had some that picked up a mildew
> smell and had to be fed back.
>
>    An interesting discussion here at honey harvest time noted that
> freshly uncapped honey tasted best.  (Subjective judgement, but
> widely agreed to.)

I think that there may be *some* that *could* benefit, but generally
speaking, exposure to air -- even in extracting -- results in loss
of volatiles that provide flavour, and some addition of oxygen, which
will result in chemical change.

This is one of the potential problems with drying honey -- air is
used.

Nothing beats honey in the comb for flavour.

For entering (and winning) competitions, honey should be pressed
from the comb with a spoon to avoid having it fly through the air as
it does in extracting.

However, lots of people win using extracted honey, so there you go...

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>