From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 13:06:10 -0400
This message  was originally  submitted by [log in to unmask]  to
the
BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quotes of
previously posted material.

----------------- Original message (ID=C213226E) (81 lines)
-------------------
From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Servel?=" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      Malathion Spraying
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 19:06:16 +0200
1700

Hello Kendra,

I am a French beekeeper located in the South of France. I know the problem
of mosquitoes spraying problem because our municipality has wanted to kill
mosquitoes for our town (Arles) to be able to have more and more tourists.
The beekeepers have asked negotiations with the political authorities of the
town because they were afraid to loose their bees and job. They promised
to listen to us. We encouraged them to use biological control of mosquitoes
thanks thanks to bacillus thuringensis. In spite of what they promised us,
they phoned us one day that the town and the surrounding country will be
sprayed with deltamethrin.  Then after a meeting the beekeepers decided to
make a spectacular action : we decided to unload an apiary on the main
square of the town (27th July 1997). We invited journalists, TV... The
success of this demonstration was very interesting, because until now, the
municipality has not sprayed the region, and they have begun biological
control of mosquitoes population. They were so upset that the radio and TV
have talked in negative way of their town, because they were accused to pour
toxic chemical on the population.

With my best regards,

François SERVEL