Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:53:23 -0400
In a video I was watching about beekeeping in Austria on You Tube, I witnessed a beekeeper who "doused" his virgin queen in a jar of what appeared to be sugar water, or honey-water...before introducing her directly into the mating hive.
It seemed this was a fairly large breeder who used this procedure, and so I felt it may have some relevance.

Unfortunately, I do not speak a word of German. Would anyone on this forum care to translate what the narrator is saying. I am specifically attempting to learn what the liquid is in the jar.  I presume it works on the same principle as masking a pheromone, or on the fact that bees usually accept drifting bees if they arrive at the entrance with nectar or pollen.
I am particularly interested in this method, as this year I am allowing my sealed queen cells, to hatch in an incubator, and in this manner, I can select some of the qualities of the virgin queens before introducing them to the mating nucs.

You can view the youtube video here. You may have to copy/paste this into your browser, because I do not know the control characters to make this link active.

https://youtu.be/olfDOmMJI6s?t=1m41s

Thanks,
JB