From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:28:24 -0500
Hello to All,

Prior to the first incidence of U. S. Africanization of October 15, 1990
thousands of samples of honeybees, feral and husbanded alike, were taken
from most of the nation for morphological and PCR-DNA testing and
analysis. FABIS had already been developed. The same was done although not
as frequent for Africanized honeybees in Mexico, Central and South America
and in Europe. This broad survey established a databank or database for
honeybee genera and morphological data frozen in time and mapped
distribution of all subspecies of Apis melliferia across America. It is
from this forethought that we have our data for morphological, FABIS, and
mtDNA comparison.

Further reading can be found in Volume 145, Number 4 and Number 5 of the
American Bee Journal, "The Price of California's Almond Pollination".

Cheers,

Chuck Norton