From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:54:12 -0500
The reason I brought this up is that people are proposing, among other things, "smart" beekeeping technology. I think the point here is that machines are good at math, but not so good at making judgements. Judgement is not reducible to quadratic equations.

And the solution may not be simply keying in our own value systems, because none of us is always right. But, neither is the solution to make modeling systems value-free. Then you get stuff like (hypothetically): eugenics is a way to improve the quality of humans. Etc.

The further we go down these roads, the more it becomes clear to me that human values must be at the top of decision making, and those humans must be held responsible for consequences. You don't get a pass because you relied on AI and made bad decisions.

PLB