From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:17:21 -0600
>I second the concern that it's possibly too cold for baggie
>feeders._perhaps_ if the syrup is warm when placed the cluster can stay
>intact and get to the syrup.

>Those were my thoughts, too, but Bob asked about baggies.

The temps are supposed to warm up next week. Freeing up the strong clusters
to work baggies or inside feeders. However I do not stock sucrose like I did
HFCS so need to make a trip to Kansas to pick up a couple 275 gallon totes.
Most likely will pickup first of next week but by then fields will be a
muddy mess.

 I do keep enough on hand to make patties but not enough to feed all the
hungry gals right now!

I can pick up 50 pound bags tomorrow after my doctors appointment using my
tax exemption and Costco will load the bags. (help will unload). I could get
sugar on the hives needing feed next day or two while ground is still fairly
frozen with one of the smaller four wheel drive  bee trucks.

I hate the cost and labor but after walking in and checking some yards (
opps not supposed to be doing that) I see some hives in the yards I checked
needing feed before long.

I like to drive the truck when fields are not perfect. I was asked last week
by another beekeeper with a diesel four wheel drive ( six speed stick) if I
thought his clutch
was going out when it sounds like the truck is in neutral when going down
the road every time he gets to seventy miles per hour.

He has been pulling pallets out of snow to bring to his holding yard.

I think so and will cost money worth a couple barrels of honey to get fixed
at Ford was my reply.

 Another blew a 460 in a F450 trying to free from the
mud awhile back.

Randy Oliver said he was stuck to the axles last week in a email.

You can let a few days slide but then you need to get the work done. When
the job can not be accomplished the easy way then the hard way needs done.
Not doing what is needed is not an option. You can always figure a way if
you ponder the problem long enough.

Thanks again for the replies.

bob