From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:01:41 +0900
>I read with interest your method of introducing the new queen and nucleus
>hive and wondered if a strip of mesh over a third or half of the box would
>help to introduce the queen by allowing the other bees in the main hive to
>"smell" her and adopt her prior to the paper being eaten through, much like
>the candy in the cage method.
>
>I would appreciate your thoughts as I was interested in breeding my own
>queens this year, just for interest and I was pondering the introduction
>method.

Unless the weather is inclement, when using the newspaper uniting method I
punch two or three holes through the newspaper with the hive tool.  This
enables the queen's pheromones to permeate the entire hive area and I think
encourages the bees to remove the newspaper barrier.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]