From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:00:35 -0500
At 05:42 PM 11/19/05 -0500, you wrote:
>I didn't crawl through all the references in the site Isis gave, but I did
not find the answers to the questions readers have asked, specifically what
are the smoker fuels purpoeted to knock down Varroa.

Tobacco has been tried both as a varroa control and as a method of sampling
in the Netherlands:

[CITATION] De, & Eijnde, JVD, 1984. Detection of Varroa mite in the
Netherlands using tobacco smoke
A Ruijter - Bee World

What little I've found on the web hasn't been helpful. Dosage was found to
be difficult. It is after all a poison.

This link addresses various different plant smokes on the honeybee tracheal
mite, including orange peel, creosote bush, tobacco, coffee beans, etc:

http://www.edpsciences.org/10.1051/apido:2004026

If you haven't been to http://scholar.google.com/ you should check it out.

George-