Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:38:48 +0100
     I wrote to the list a few months ago about this topic, having suffered
     an anaphylactic reaction myself. It came out of the blue following one
     sting and I couldn't believe it was happening to me, as I'd received
     hundreds of stings during my several years' work with bees.

     However, I was treated with adrenaline and recovered. I then started a
     course of bee venom desensitization therapy, being injected every week
     with increasing amounts of bee venom. That was in June and since the
     end of October I have been given the top dose (approx 5 bee sting
     equivalents) with no adverse effects. Now I'm getting the shots (yes,
     that's an "o" there) every month as top-up and will do so for another
     1-2 years, barring any relapse.

     I'm working with bees again, but I'm carrying an adrenaline syringe at
     all times just in case.

     I may be one of the lucky ones but the success rate with this therapy
     seems to be quite high and others in the same position should take
     heart and try to find a similar treatment.

     Max