From:
Roy Crain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:33:40 -0700
     I can relate to everyones stories about the inequality of the way beekeepers are looked at for loans.  Several years ago I put a business plan together with proposals, cost estimates, the whole 9 yards.  I wanted to put about 25,000$ of equity in my honey co. up to get a 15,000$ loan.  I went to the SBA.  They wanted me to put up the equity in my home, the business, and my other property up as collateral.  My math said they were wanting over 250,000 equity to get a small loan.  Needless to say, my business loan fell thru, and I have tried to grow my business slowly, and with almost no debt to speak of.

     I really appreciate the fact that there are larger beeks out there that are willing to help start people out, and help small beeks to get bigger.  If it weren't for Dennis Arp in Flagstaff, I would probably have given up several years ago.  Instead he has always been there to answer questions(no matter how stupid), and provide help when it is needed.

     Now if we could only get the d####n politicians to help the small business people in the ag industry the way they do their wealthy friends in big business.  We might be able to re-build, and give the beekeeping industry the shot in the arm that it needs.  No I'm not talking about free money, I'm talking about the ability to borrow money with low interest loans, and a reasonable repayment time line.

     Now I'll get off my soap box and go back to lurking. :-)

Roy Crain