From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:37:45 -0500
>> I pointed out that most honey sold by the largest packers has the pollen
>> removed by pressure filtering.
>
> The EU Honey Directive states:
> No pollen or other individual ingredient of honey is to be removed, unless
> that is inevitable when organic and
> inorganic foreign materials are removed.

With the pressure filters I saw in use at the Busy Bee Plant in Hillsboro,
Kansas all pollen is removed.
The large packer honey is excellent on toast but if you want the pollen in
honey you need to buy from a local guy not pressure filtering or at least I
have been told with 50 micron or less.

There are several ways to get around the information Peter
 E.posted above but all cost money.

Honey prices for unprocessed honey in the U.S. remain high. Little need to
ship to the U.K..

Back then the U.K. offers were about thirty cents a pound higher than U.S.
packers.

Right now U.S. packers are not able to buy enough foreign honey to supply
demand. Offers are high.
Of course you can buy all the U.S. honey you want  if you offer a dime per
pound *above* packer offers. Myself and others which pack for a retail
market will always pay higher for honey and demand the best quality honey
available.

My competition will pack a grade of honey from Mexico and Brazilian pepper
honey which should *in my opinion* be only used for baking but certainly
30-40 cents a pound in drums cheaper. The beekeepers I buy honey from know I
only want their best grade.

Perhaps useful information to some on the list. Packers have long dumped
their off flavored honey on Wal-mart, Sams & Costco. Why not? To their
store  buyers  its all about low price.

bob

That process may be carried out by