From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:58:25 -0400
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:22:01 -0400, Mike Southern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't think bans are neccessarily to "keep people happy", as you curiously
>put it. They become part of an environment that should be geared toward
>management based on sustainability rather than the equivalent of "fishing by
>hand grenade".

Nice post Mike Southern....

I'm pushing in my state (MN) for the ban on these materials for cosmetic use. Likewise we have an
effort to convince county and state officials to plant native wildflowers and pollinator forage along
roadsides in favor of mowing and spraying for thistles etc. Iowa has a successful program of
planting the I35 media strip with wildflowers vetch and clover and is saving money on
maintenance and also improving habitat for pollinators and song birds. I've heard Maryland also
has a similar program.

If every state would ban cosmetic use of chems and push efforts to minimize roadside
mowing/spraying I think we could make a positive impact for ALL beekeepers.  The average
Joe/Jane can identify with these ideas too and are appealing to the general public for a variety of
different reasons. No sense waiting around for the feds or a lab coat to solve CCD or fix the
"bee problem". We pretty much have numerous tools at our disposal to effect positive change.

Delisting Apistan and Checkmite is another do-able project I think would be beneficial to
honeybees also.