From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:51:08 -0400
Hello All,
I have heard the hypothesis put forth by Serbia before. Without a trip to
Serbia and seeing and testing for myself I can not say the hypothesis is
correct or incorrect. Do bees feed winter bees different? I do not know.

For myself its simple. After over forty years among the bees I have noticed
in areas of hard winters like my area the old bees with tatered wings and
shiny backs will not be around in early spring. Not rocket science.

In short you need in our area  5-8 frames of bees to winter successfully.
This year the bees quit brooding up for lack of pollen and we were left
with 3-5 frames of old bees in many cases. In a cold winter those small
clusters are usually found dead in an area empty of honey with heads in
cells with a
 *hive full of stored honey*.

After three decades of wintering bees (most of the time) in Missouri I can
quickly tell by looking if a hive will winter. In my opinion stored honey
is only one pert of the wintering scenario. Hive venting to prevent
moisture is important as well as disease free and a good queen *WITH YOUNG
WINTER BEES*.

A close friend which runs around 4500 hives says you need four brood cycles
before winter to get a strong hive ready to split in April.

Two brood cycles minimum.

Russian bees and survivor bees do not winter well in my area without my
help for the most part because they want to winter on too small a cluster.
If they get a strong fall flow then they raise the required (in my opinion)
young bees to winter. Left alone they winter on too small a cluster for our
climate. Even the Russian bees are getting pollen patties (real pollen) and
a light syrup this year.

I hate to clean deadouts (waste of my time and energy and sign of poor
beekeeping) and try to take all winter loses in fall. I reduce down to the
number of hives I think will winter and split back to the number of hives
in spring I think I can without losing honey production.

Unless I need a certain amount of hives for a certain reason I always
follow the above rule.

What race of bees do you use in Serbia and how do you prepare for severe
winter? Do you top vent? How does your friend know for sure his bees feed
winter bees different than summer bees?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri