From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:00:12 -0500
>  However, to successfully combat the spread of AHB from southern
> producers, all Northern Beekeepers would have to unite...

>...it would also require that the northern beekeepers meet their needs
>from Northern suppliers...   ...I do not know of a supplier or group of
>suppliers able to meet Northern demand...

And, that's the problem at this point. Raising northern bees and queens
isn't difficult. The problem is in raising enough to meet the demand. It
has taken me 7 years to feel confident that I can raise enough for my
operation of about 800 colonies. I'm going to start selling stock this
summer...2006. The first year, I can only sell queens. My goal is to sell
500. Nucs, I'm not able to sell yet. I'm building more nuc boxes this
winter, and hope to have 200 nucs for sale in 2007. It all takes
time...more so to do a proper job. and to me, quality is more important
than quantity. So, how can we expect the hobbyist beekeepers to do the
same. They don't have the expertise, or the resources. By resources, I mean
colony numbers. Colony numbers to select good stock from which to rear
acceptable queens. Expertise can be taught. As I said..it isn't difficult.
         Resources are different. That's why I feel it important to take
advantage of State and local beekeeping organizations. While the average
hobby beekeeper doesn't have the colony numbers to select breeder queens
for the job, I believe when the beekeepers in an association pool their
resources, they do have the colony numbers to make intelligent selection.
Poll your members. There are colonies out there in the membership that
never seem to need help. They winter well...year after year. They never
need requeening, as they requeen themselves successfully, year after year.
They don't show symptoms of Chalk, Sac, etc. They don't try to eat you
alive when you manage them.
         The job can be done. More beekeepers just have to put their
collective foot down, and say no more southern stock. Writing laws won't
work. Self help will. Once a program is underway, you'll all be amazed at
the quality of the stock you will be able to raise. All I can add is:
Just do it!
Mike