From:
David MacFawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:55:06 EST
Peter, I agree.  I have been "maintaining" some hives minimally  for the last
2-3 years.  I have one hive that has survived for 3 years w/o  any treatment
for mites, or nothing. I  placed two deeps and a medium  and  let them go.
This is in the Columbia, SC area.  What you  described is exactly what I have
done.  I installed 7 packages last year  and am letting them go naturally.  I am
expecting a heavy loss but if I can  get 1 out of the 7 to survive, then I
consider I am  ahead.

I believe all the treatments that we have been giving our bees has
artificially kept a lot of colonies alive, i.e. if we quit treating these  colonies a
good portion will die and the bees will reproduce off the  survivors.  The bees
are better at understanding what the species need to  do to survive than man
is with all the our chemicals.    In  essence, I created a semi natural
environment in the hive, did not harvest any  honey and did not move any supers
around.  The pollen  stayed intact  where they put it.

However, with that said, I am a sideliner and do not depend on my bees to
make a living.  So, the question is what is cheaper in the long run, to  treat
and not take the loss initially, or not treat and incur the compounded  expense
of treating to keep  colonies alive artificially.  The further  down the
treatment path we go the more variables and uncertain we are about the  colonies
that we are treating.

Dave M.