Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:04:44 -0400
According to the studies I found, the fermentation process for silage
should reduce nitrate levels.  Sounds like one should test to be sure, but
proper harvesting of mature plants seems to be the key.

The brush hog and leave a row to the insurance man seems to be an
over-reaction or a ploy to sell the crop to the insurance company.

We grew corn and fed it to both feedlot and dairy cattle.  Had good  years,
drought years, years when hail reduced to stalks, etc. - never  remember a
sick cow.  Still, a precautionary analysis would be cheap  insurance.  I
found academic studies from Illinois, Colorado that  verify drought and other
stressors can lead to elevated nitrate levels; but I  didn't find these to be
alarmist.

Jerry