From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:35:44 -0400
>  ... why not try Strapping first?

Been there, done that. Bear ripped off the bottom board in pieces.
Scooped out the bottom brood chamber like a melon.
  As far as bear fence chargers goes, why not use battery powered? I
have 10+ bear fences set up in my NY apiaries. Solar is expensive,
and the battery doesn't last forever.

Try the Gallagher B-11, or the Speedright AN-90. Both use either D
cell flashlight batteries, or 12v deep cycle marine battery. D cells
last about 4 weeks, but the 12v lasts for several months. Stops bears
even when they are actively working the yard. Bacon on the wires
gives 'em a good snoot full.

Both cost in the $110-120 range.
Mike