From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 12:31:17 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gunnar Thygesen)
>
>Hi [log in to unmask] ,
>
>15-Nov-96 02:28:29, [log in to unmask] wrote to BEE-L
>          Subject: Top Bar Hives (TBHs)
>Well Joel, you wrote a fine and comprehensive story about the TBHs but
>did Langtroth discover the bee space and the frame idea?

Okay, on second thought he didn't "discover" the bee space, but figured out
how to design a hive in which the frames and lid would not get connected to
the hive box, making them difficult to remove. It seemed like a great idea
to him, anyway.

A Russian bee-book I looked over (recent edition was an English
translation) gave credit for the modern moveable-frame hive to... you
guessed it, some Russian guy. They mentioned Langstroth somewhere in there,
mainly to note that it was NOT his discovery.  So there.  Perhaps the idea
hit a number of people at about the same time. Maybe someone in Denmark
thought of it too.:)