From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 03:48:43 -0800
Well Jim, That depends. Are you talking about when you buy a nuc from a seller or when you make a nuc for yourself? If you are talking about when a nuc is made, is that nuc expected to grow it's own queen or are you going to put a queen with it?

  When I make up my 5 frame nucs, in South Carolina in  March, I include 1 frame of honey one frame of open brood with eggs and one frame of mostly capped brood with a queen cell on it. The other 2 frames are either foundation, of any type, or empty comb or a combination. There is usually pollen in the combs that have the brood in them . At that time of year there is also plenty of pollen coming in.

  When I get these home to NY they are heavy. Some are heavy with honey. But most are heavy with bees and brood as well. At that time they may consist of 3 frames of mostly brood, lots of bees and a queen looking for a place to lay. So, when I put mine or when a customer puts theirs in a hive with drawn comb available they take right off.
  My customers usually take their nucs home in my boxes and bring them back. When they do, if there were dudds they receive another one to replace it.

  I hope that this helps.
  Mark
Jim Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]> wrote: frames of bees and brood ... in a 5 frame nuc ... how much honey ...pollen.     Jim

Yahoo! Photos