Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:04:01 GMT+0200
Hi Ben and All

I am posting this to the list as the idea may be of use to others.

A very simple 9 frame extractor can be made as follows. Get hold of a
big drum (I think they are called  40 gallon drums) and two BMX
bicycle wheels (the rims). Take out the bearings on the rims and put
a threaded metal pole through the middle. Space the rims so that a
frame can fit into the gap between them such that the lugs on the
edge of the frames catch the rim. Bolt the rims into position with
nuts threaded onto the thread. Clip out spokes on the top wheel so
that frames can be lowered into the set of wheels to clip onto the
rims. It also helps to secure the whole setup with some more lighter
threaded bars from the outer bit of the rims connecting the two
wheels. You now have a spindle into which frames can be placed. The
whole thing is then just put onto bearings (e-mail me for how I did
that if interested). The system can then be powered using an electric
drill.

For me it meant that I was able to make a perfectly functional
extractor for about R100 (Barrel 25, wheels R60 and sundries the
rest) which in dollar terms is about US$20 something - I am sure this
is worth it - an extractor here would cost at least fifteen times
what I payed.

HOpe this is of some use.

Keep well

GArth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey
If parents taught kids about the birds and bees, guys would believe they were half the women they used to be!!
Standard Disclaimer applies to this post.