Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:21:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
> I've often referred to my dairy background.  My father had the highest producing cows in Yellowstone county - a Holstein/Guernsey cross.   High yield with almost Guernsey butterfat levels.  He rejected cattle judging shows that ranked dairy cattle on looks, shape of udder, etc.  His commercial cattle were mutts, rigorously culled on basis of productivity - milk and calves. 

Good you should mention that. Following that idea:

> Most economically valued livestock species are not native to the U.S. and are derived from selected strains as a result of well-designed, scientific stock improvement programs. These programs are dependent upon long-range breeding programs, as well as the routine and systematic importation and evaluation of additional resources (mostly germplasm) from within the original ranges of the species under consideration. The beekeeping industry does not have access to stocks of origin or standardized evaluation and stock improvement programs. Consequently, the beekeeping industry does not share the increased productivity that result from such programs, as have served the poultry, dairy, and swine industries. 

source:
Cobey, S., Walter S. Sheppard, and David R. Tarpy. "Status of breeding practices and genetic diversity in domestic US honey bees." Honey bee colony health: challenges and sustainable solutions. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2012): 25-36

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2