From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:07:41 -0400
In the post about using powdered sugar Janet mentioned using 7-10 days
treatment intervals just as with sucrocide.  I was just on the phone
yesterday with a beekeeper in Florida who mentioned using oxalic at similar
intervals.  I wanted to question the timing.

7-10 days would obviously span a full brood cycle, but isn't the whole
uncapped phase of the cycle unimportant.  My understanding is that varroa
mites infest a cell just shortly before it's capped.  If the capped phase
is what's significant wouldn't three treatments be more effective at 5 day
intervals (to span the longest capped phase cycle of the drones)?  Of
course, what I'm saying would only apply to treatments without continuing
kill effects (like sucrocide, oxalic, powdered sugar, fogging, etc.)