From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2018 20:44:46 +0000
It seems to me that the farther south you keep bees in the US the more success you have running bees TF.  For example I know of several in Alabama that are doing very well for quite a few years now. But, when you get far enough north to see sub zero degree F days in winter, and no pollen from Oct to mid March and few fly days during that interval I only know of one or two people who claim TF success.  No science behind my data, it is just observation of where people live that talk about the subject on various forums.

Has anyone else noted this geography correlation?  Does it tell us anything other than cold winters are hard on bees?  My personal observation is most of my hive deaths happen real late in winter.  Generally late March or April.  If I had one month less winter I think life would be a lot easier.

Dick

HL Mencken said: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. "