From:
"Cecile T. Kohrs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:11:11 -0400

<<        I have a probably strange question.  I'm not Catholic, but I was
 wondering about St. Ambrose, the patron saint of beekeepers.  I know
 that there are St. Christopher's medals, but do medallions or medals
 exist for St. Ambrose??  Would it be considered inappropriate for me to
 wear one (if such a thing exists)??  I don't know if this is an
 appropriate question for BEE-L, but I can think of nowhere else to ask
 it. . .

 Thanks,
 Kevin Palm

Kevin:

Hi. Yes, I am sure you can find a St. Ambrose medal. My name is Cecilia, and
I had to special order a St. Cecilia medal. And I have dogs, and their patron
is St. Roch (every day a dog brought him bread while he was hiding from
persecutors) Those can be specially ordered also. Your best bet is to try
either a GOOD jewelry story, which can special order one for you, or a
Catholic book store, which could do that as well. Just look it up in your
yellow pages, or call a local Catholic parish and ask for info.

As to your not being Catholic. I am, and IT WOULD NOT OFFEND ME IN THE LEAST.
And I am not nearly as accepting as God, who certainly would not be offended.
We don't worship saints, we ask them, as we would ask a friend to pray for
us. And we look to them for ways to live better lives in a complex world.
 Saints, in the traditional Catholic sense, are simply people who were
sinners (read "folks just like me" who did their best to lead good lives,
following in the example of Christ's perfection.  If you can learn from these
people, it doesn't matter what faith you are. And anyone who would be
offended wouldn't be looking at the big picture. We are all brothers (and to
be politically correct, sisters) trying to get through life learning and
growing and helping each other.

I don't know all the history of St. Ambrose, but probably, there was no other
Christian church when he lived.

As to this bee-ing appropriate to the Bee list...where else could you ask?

Good luck!
Cecile