From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:52:17 -0500
Allen wrote:
We know it is your opinion, and it is an interesting speculation, but can
> you prove it?

If I do to your satisfaction will you post  on your web site?

I accept the challenge to prove my hypothesis. I believe paperwork already
exists from the USDA to prove my hypothesis if I can manage to get a look at
the information. Like Allen said the USDA has been doing dna  and other
types of testing in Arizona for a long time.

Dr. Hoffman did not come to the ABF convention (as Blane  correctly pointed
out) to talk about capensis only.

 The title of the talk was "pollination Research at Tucson".

Capensis is kept for honey production in South Africa even by Barry Seargant
.

The biggest threat to the commercial beekeeper from capensis is in the area
of migratory beekeeping and the taking over of hives and spreading capensis
all over the U.S. which is the main point for Dr. Hoffman showing slides of
the  *alleged* capensis .

 I believe point Dr. Hoffman was making was valid.

Dr. Shiminuki (retired head Beltsville bee lab)has been to South Africa to
study capensis and he warned us years ago about the same points Dr. Hoffman
was saying  with one BIG difference.

DR HOFFMAN (AND THE STAFF )IS SEEING WHAT
 DR. SHIMINUKI WAS ONLY WARNING ABOUT *COULD HAPPEN* IF THE CAPE BEE WAS
EVER TO ENTER THE U.S.

I need a little help with back up here from those beekeepers on the list
which have attended many of the Dr. Shiminuki talks like I have. Have you
not heard the above from Shim many times?  Although Dr. Shiminuki and I had
our differences I still consider Shim one of the most knowledgeable
researchers I ever met.

Dr. Shiminuki used to always say "there are still threats to beekeeping
WORSE than varroa".

1. Tropilaelaps clareae
2. the cape bee (capensis)

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

I  believe  we have got a tape recording of the  entire Dr. Hoffman talk. To
be honest my partner and I have not even listened to the tape but plan to do
so once we get caught up on bee  work.

Thanks to James Fischer for his kind words about Dr. Hoffman and myself.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison