Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:15:56 -0500
I am off to the Philippines in a few days to volunteer as an `advisor` on some beekeeping projects.   The very few sources of wax foundation sheets in the country sell them for about a dollar US each.   I am planning on making foundation moulds for casting foundation using information that Garth Cambray posted on the web

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/february/beeswaxmould.htm

Remember Garth, he was a frequent poster to the bee-l before;  I miss his interesting and humorous posts on beekeeping in Africa .  He is involved in a beekeeping and mead making company.

Back to the problem:  There is apparently a shortage of beeswax from mellifera in the Philippines (beekeeping is still small scale with only about 5000 hives in the whole country).  But there is wax available from apis dorsata honey hunters (possibly some from apis florea as well). These waxes are called ghedda wax, and apparently are different enough from mellifera beeswax that bees will not accept them (as they will not accept parrafin).  However, leaving the important discussion about adulteration to the side, bees WILL accept a proportion of parrafin in their foundation (`a small amount`, whatever that means).    So, I am wondering if there is a certain proportion of ghedda wax that bees would accept, and what that might be.

My internet search on this question has come up empty.

Special note to Peter Borst:  Since Roger Morse worked in the Philippines with apis dorsata , AND, was particularly interested in beeswax, even to experimenting with a way of harvesting beeswax directly from the bees (harvesting wax scales!!) perhaps he dealt with this question.

And to others:  I am aware that starter strips and top bar hives are an alternative approach.   But I will also be with the honey hunters, and they presently have little use for the wax.

Thanks
Stan