From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 19:04:04 +0100
<My mentor approved of my general "leave things alone" policy, but said
if I really wanted a good crop to feed some of the sugar early to get
the hives built up. This seemed extravagant to me, but I put feeders on
three hives, leaving the other three alone.

As you may guess, the cold weather followed, and now that the season's
on, the three hives that I didn't feed are going great, but the others
have only a few bees.>
Replying to the above, there are two completely different ways of spring
feeding and they should not be confused.  If for lack of enough feed in
autumn or a long cold spring a stock is running low on stores then it must
be given a large quantity of strong syrup to top up.  This has nothing to do
with so-called stimulative feeding when small quantities of weak syrup are
given at intervals, a kind of artificial nectar flow.  It is considered by
many  to encourage egg production for an early build up.  Equally, many
think it has no effect and is a waste of time and money so you take your choice.
In the case quoted above, if it was carried out correctly,  offering a small
amount at a time of one to one sugar and water, I cannot see it could do any
harm.  If so I have been harming my bees for many years.  I treat for nosema
in the spring and this acts as a carrier for Fumidil.  Also bees need water
in early spring to dilute stores (a reason for a water supply in every
apiary) and this may help in cold weather.
It makes a nice little subject to argue over.  I have seen reports of tests
carried out but as far as I know there is no strong evidence either way.
With only six hives it is quite possible that it was pure chance that those
three failed.  Now if it had been a case of sixty hives and most of the
thirty fed failed we should have had a strong case.
                Regards
Sid P.

Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England