Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 19:04:04 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
<My mentor approved of my general "leave things alone" policy, but said         
if I really wanted a good crop to feed some of the sugar early to get           
the hives built up. This seemed extravagant to me, but I put feeders on         
three hives, leaving the other three alone.                                     

As you may guess, the cold weather followed, and now that the season's          
on, the three hives that I didn't feed are going great, but the others          
have only a few bees.>                                                          
Replying to the above, there are two completely different ways of spring        
feeding and they should not be confused.  If for lack of enough feed in         
autumn or a long cold spring a stock is running low on stores then it must      
be given a large quantity of strong syrup to top up.  This has nothing to do    
with so-called stimulative feeding when small quantities of weak syrup are      
given at intervals, a kind of artificial nectar flow.  It is considered by      
many  to encourage egg production for an early build up.  Equally, many         
think it has no effect and is a waste of time and money so you take your choice.
In the case quoted above, if it was carried out correctly,  offering a small    
amount at a time of one to one sugar and water, I cannot see it could do any    
harm.  If so I have been harming my bees for many years.  I treat for nosema    
in the spring and this acts as a carrier for Fumidil.  Also bees need water     
in early spring to dilute stores (a reason for a water supply in every          
apiary) and this may help in cold weather.                                      
It makes a nice little subject to argue over.  I have seen reports of tests     
carried out but as far as I know there is no strong evidence either way.        
With only six hives it is quite possible that it was pure chance that those     
three failed.  Now if it had been a case of sixty hives and most of the         
thirty fed failed we should have had a strong case.                             
                Regards                                                         
Sid P.                                                                          

_________________________________________________________________               
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]                  
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]            
Alresford                                                                       
Hants SO24 9HF                                                                  
England                                                                         

ATOM RSS1 RSS2