From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:14:42 EDT
Dear Tom:

In Ontario we have been working on development of IPM
program for parasitic mites (Tracheal mites and varroa mites) over
the last 7 years. This program is based on monitoring the mite
infestation level in bee colonies. We sample every bee yard by taking
a composite sample  of about 300 bees from the yard in the fall and
spring. An equal number of bees/ hive is taking in yard samples. 250
bees are dissected to check for tracheal mites. If the mite infestation is
< 10% no treatment will be required. If mite infestation  is >10%
treatment is required.

For monitoring varroa mites, we use natural fall of mites on sticky
boards in 24 h. If the number of fallen varroa mites/hive/24h is 5-10
in spring treatment is required. In the fall if the number of fallen
(Late august-early September) is >100mites/hive/24h treatment is
required.

For the IPM treatment program, we are using the following tools:
1. Trachreal mite- Hygienic bees developed in Ontario for the last 7
years.
2. Formic acid single application pad (250 ml of 65% formic
acid/hive). Hives treated with a single application pad for 21 days.
3. Use of Apistan.
4. Extra protection for Wintering bees.

IPM Program:
1. Spring: treat with formic acid.
2. late spring and summer: requeen with mite resistant stock.
3. Fall: treat with Apistan.
4. winter protection boxes

Early in the program we used to treat in spring and fall with formic
acid in addition to Apistan in the fall. We found in our research
that fall formic acid treatment is not necessary when we use Tracheal
mite resistant- Hygienic bees.
Sofar this program is working in Ontario for the last 5-7 years. Our
colony mortality is down from 40-50% to about 10% for the last 3
years.

We are adding using drone brood for trapping mites to the program.
Efficacy is being determined. Testing for Apistan resistant varroa
showed that varroa mites in Ontario are susceptible to Apistan.
Although, we have have been using Apistan for the last 8 years, mites
have not developed resistance to Apistan. This is one of the
advantages of alternating formic acid with Apistan and reduction of
Apistan treatment into a single treatment in the fall.

Development of an IPM program should be done and tested in each
location to determine sampling time and efficacy. Thus, results will
be reliable.

IPM Program is an expensive program but it pays off in the long term.

Medhat Nasr.

results are
Medhat Nasr, Ph.D.
Research Scientist,