From:
Juandefuca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:12:31 -0400
Finally somebody poses the question I have also questions to raise  about.
When bees swarm in an unsupervised environment ( Millions of years) Did
someone fed them ??? As anyone can observe , before bees swarm they fill
their bellies with honey to be able to start anew in the process of
propagation !. Therefore I do not feed bees when I collect a swarm. Feeding
is required under certain circumstances other than swarming such as splits
or nucs. It all depends on circumstances of the location, i.e. food source /
weather.Yes, I have fed bees to find out that no apreciable amount of  new
comb was produced but the syrup was deposited into cells as well as nectar
and not consumed !.And they lived happily thereafter.Specifically, as it was
mentioned , I would never feed with supers on top .I am quite satisfied with
honey. Sugar water I can fix myself and do without.
JDF