From:
Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 00:27:52 -0500
Hi bee-l'ers!

I need some second year new-bee advice on how to handle my problem!

I started out last year with two colonies: one Buckfast, one Italian.
Today I went to check on how they were doing and discovered to my dismay
my Italian colony is dead--well abandon actually.  There are a couple of
dead bees inside, nothing unexpected for a overwintered colony.  What was
unexpected was no bees; not a trace of them *anywhere*,

They had plenty of food. The top deep super is full of capped honey and
virtually untouched. The bottom super's center frames are emtpy although
the outside ones are only partially empty.  There are no signs of disease
that are obvious.

The other thing I noticed was there was some mold growing on the underside
of the top cover.  Not a lot, just in an area directly above the escape
hole in the inner cover.  Was it too damp inside causing them to leave at
the first opportunity?

We had a very mild Winter for New Jersey.  In early February, we had
almost Spring like weather, which some on the list noted.  At that time, I
both colonies were active.  The bees working the Italian colony were
definitely Italian.

I did treat both my colonies late last Summer with Apistan (following
label directions to the letter) and oil patties.  So what happened to my
bees?

More importantly, right now, is what to do about rebuilding the colony?
I have ordered 2 Buckfast queens a few months ago.  Originally, I planned
to split each colony using the new queens.  Right now I have one colony
and two queens which won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

I need some advice on how to handle this.  Should I split the remaining
colony, let them raise their own queen and replace her when the new
queen arrives?  The new colony has plenty of food, so I don't think I'll
need to feed them.  Will I be able to start a nuc with the second new
queen?  Or should I just wait until the new queens arrive?  In that case,
how to I care for the abandon hive in the meantime?

Though I got 2 supers of honey from the Italians last year, they never
seemed to be as active as the Buckfast.  I attributed it to just normal
variation.  Going into the second year, the Buckfast are certainly
outpacing them now.  Ahhh... what a way to start my second year.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

          bob
--
Bob Billson, KC2WZ                               email: [log in to unmask]
second year beekeeper, 2 colonies (so far)              [log in to unmask]

   (\     MS-DOS, you can't live with it.  You can live without it.   /)
  {|||8-          Linux: the cure for the Windows 95 virus.        -8|||}