From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:18:01 -0500
>        I was channel surfing and came upon a story on the mite problem on
>Pat Robertson's network a few weeks ago. The whole angle of the report was
>that food prices are going up. Pat's questions all seemed to be centered
>on food prices as well. Bees and beekeepers seems to be rather
>insignificant in the scope of things. But then again God's creatures have
>always taken a back seat to God's money...

>Dave D. Cawley, Maitre d' |
>The Internet Cafe         |
>Scranton, Pennsylvania

Whilst channel-hopping, I did come across a honey bee & mites report on TV.
I was surprised to find out it was on the 700-Club program, on Pat
Roberston's network.  The report was really well done, and informative.
They talked about beekeeping, and the spread of the mites, and apistan,
ecological and agricultural implications, etc.

When the report-videotape was finished they of course went back to Mr.
Robertson in the studio, where he and the co-hosts bantered a bit about the
story.  Then (of course) Pat started babbling on about how the demise of
our precious underappreciated bees is just another sign of the end of the
world.  How the good Lord provided them as a part of nature to benefit our
flowers and trees. How they are "disappearing!"  Soon we will have NO MORE
honey bees (just like there weren't any here on the continent the first
place).

The jist of Pat's emphasis was that there might be a terrible food CRISIS
due in part to the dreaded mites.  He was obviously trying to
sensationalize and give the whole thing some profound eschatological
meaning.  In fact, he almost sounded like a *beekeeper*...