From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 19:07:15 +0200
Rick Grubbs wrote:

> I have heard a couple of different methods of supering. I have been told
> to wait till all of the frames are drawn completly then add another
> super, and some say to super when they have drawn 7 frames. Also is top
> or bottom suppering better?

Hi Rick,

I can only speak for the conditions where I live, they might not be the same
for you. Before and during swarm period I super after the amount of bees in
the hive. I don't let them "hit the lid", there should be space above them so
they don't feel overcrowded and get into the swarming mood.

When the swarm season is passed there is another reason for giving the bees
enough space. When they collect nectar during daytime they need room to store
it. Nectar the bees bring in hold a water content of maybee 50%. That means
they need lots of empty cells to store that nectar in while they go out to
get more. If there is not enought empty cells in the hive the bees will have
to stop collecting nectar until the young bees at home have reduced the water
content and volume of the honey.

Bottom supering is probably better, if you use an excluder. Bees don't like
empty cells above the brood nest. For the commersial beekeeper there might
be too much lifting to pay for the extra work.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]    http://www.kuai.se/~beeman/