From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:52:21 -0500
My understanding concerning Nosema is essentially the same as Mr. Bach's.  I
recall some university research with proper controls, etc. that determined
(1) Nosema is endemic and only the worst cases are seen by the beekeeper;
(2) While spring feeding will control the Nosema, it is usually "too late"
to have a lot of effect on the honey crop (therefore beekeepers who have
tried it feel it does not have much benefit) and, (3) fall feeding will
increase the next year's honey crop (all things being equal) by truly
astonishing amounts.  I recall the increase at around 30%.
All that said, I have to admit I usually only feed my nucs with Fumidil-B in
the fall because my deeps are choked with honey.  So...I think I know
better, but don't do it anyways.
Can anyone help with the research references concerning the effect of fall
vrs spring feeding of Fumidil-D and both compared to not feeding at all?
feeding