From:
Blaine S Nay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:58:39 EDT
>can i impose on the collective ideas of u all...... to find out a quick
&
>efficient way to get rid of the burr comb that is clogging up between
>the bars?

I built a "solar wax extractor".  It's essentially two of hive boddies
with a sheet of clear plexiglass (glass may break from temperature
changes) on top and an old queen excluder between the hive bodies.  I had
a stainless steel pan made to hust fit the inside dimensions of the
bottom hive body.

When I have some wax (from old frames, cappings, burr-comb, etc) that I
want to recover, I place it in the upper hive body on top of the old
queen excluder.  The hot sun quickly melts the wax into the pan.  The
dead bees and other sludge stays on top on the excluder.  From
time-to-time, I replace the pan with some newspapers, invert the queen
excluder.  The hot sun loosens the gunk to fall onto the newspaper.  The
resulting lump works nicely to start a fire in the fireplace.

The point of all this?  One could put queen excluders with burr comb into
such a device to clean them up.  O'l Mr. Sol puts out a lot of heat, but
not enough to damage equipment or wax.

Blaine S Nay; Anchorage, Alaska
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/B_Nay