From:
Alan Pagliere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:42:56 -0500
        I am a hobbyist. One hive last year. Planning two this year.
        I took advantage of the weather yesterday to peek inside my one
hive. The colony that seemed very, very strong during a warmish day last
month is pretty much dead. There was a lot of water, condensation. There
were lots of stores, they had taken some of the honey, but not that much.
        My theory at the moment, barring any diseases, of which there doesn't
seem to be any evidence (question on this later), is that I left too much
space on the hive for them to keep warm and ventilate.

        I saw no cluster of bees as such. Just a few up in the honey
stores eating, many dead ones here and there and a few small groups of
live bees here and there. I don't believe there was a queen or any live
brood.
        So, I think the colony is dead. I thought I would ask here and
see what people think. I believe I left too much space for them to keep
warm and ventilate. I wanted to give them lots of stores, but I think I
overdid it and just wound up freezing the poor girls. Very sad. And if
that is indeed what I did wrong, it won't happen again. What say ye? Is
that likely what my problem was?
        I did see what seemed to be water in some of the cells. I assume
that if water condenses in the hive, it can condense and gather in cells
as well as anywhere else. Is that right?
        I did see a few cells, not many, with what used to be brood.
Sitting in what seemed to be water in the cells was something that looked
like small white bits. Almost like grits or couscous, for lack of a better
description. Were these just semi-dissolved larvae? I am trying to
determine if what I saw is a sign of some disease.
        I'm only slightly worried that the imminent death of the colony is
due to some disease. I did do the Apistan thing last fall, and, looking at
some books, I didn't see (or smell) what I might consider symptoms of the
usual foulbroods. If there was a disease, I assume I should worry about
re-using the comb or frames, etc.

        I've already ordered a queen and a package for what was going to
be my second hive. I guess I'll just order another set and start two from
scratch (but with some drawn and used comb...?).

        Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Alan Pagliere
University of Michigan
Digital Library Production Service