From:
krengel lawrence e <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:49:37 -0500
Judy -

Your question about the number of hives and their effect on honey
production is one that all the big beekeepers have to deal with.  The
answer, I understand, depends on the area.  The conventional wisdom in
our area (Northern Illinois) puts the maximum number of colonies in one
apiary at about 40 or 50.  Some might disagree with this number, but no
matter where you are, the difference between 2 and 4 hives would not be
noticed.  The difference in the development of your hives is likely due
to other factors.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, Illinois

P.S.  The honey is really flowing here.  My scale hive has averaged six
or seven pounds a day for the last 10 days.  This is a longer honey flow
and a later honey flow than I have experienced.  Perhaps due to our
strange - wet, cold, late, on-again-off-again - spring. LK