From:
Dave Lindquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:18:19 -0500
Leo,

It's always possible that you dropped the queen off of the frame you were
examining, but the message here is that you should always examine brood
comb carefully, bring extra careful (in majestic respect) of the queen's
current area.

Then again, she may have tried to swarm.  Re-introducing the queen will do
no harm, since if the hive cast her out she will be recast.  Usually,
before your hive swarms, you will notice the presence of queen brood being
raised.  (Pay attention for this, because it may mean a number of things).
The young queen that hatches will dispose of the other queen brood larvae
and possibly dispose of the hybrid queen.

Your friend's advice is correct.  Wait and see.  When you go into the hive
(weekly) always locate the queen and note the pattern which she lays her
brood - should be in a tight circular pattern working outwards.

As far as bombus, they may try to steal from the hive but a strong colony
can fend them off.  They live in the ground and can usually coexist just
fine.

Welcome to beekeeping...

-Dave Lindquist
Newfane, Vermont